Violation of my privacy in medical records

I have a situation in which my insurance company sent medical records to a third party without my consent. Am I entitled to sue for restitution/damages and if so, where can I find guidelines for amounts?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Before you leap into lawyerville, contact the HIPAA compliance officer at the insurance company and file a complaint. Can you prove that this happened? It's a serious violation of confidentiality and the fine for doing it is stiff.

Suing may be much more complex and time-consuming than anything you have in mind. You'll spend thousands betting on the chance that a jury would award you more than you've already spent.

Are you employed? If so, your human resources director can tell you your rights under HIPAA.

Working as a cook with HIV
Aids Notification