Wrongful termination

My company knew I was HIV Pos. My company fired me. I filed suit in Federal court. The company says that I did not follow "internal dispute resolution policy" so the suit is illegal. I do not have the money to pay for arbitration. Is there a way around this?

Response from Ms. Breuer

We are not attorneys, and you seem to need one. Please call the AIDS Coordination Project of the American Bar Association at 202.662.1025. They can refer you to an HIV-knowledgeable attorney in your area who may be able to provide no-cost or low-cost services. Failing that, you may want to contact your local EEOC office and ask them about the viability of your complaint under their rules.

Remember that it is not illegal to fire someone who has HIV, as long as the diagnosis is not the reason. Do you have copies of good performance reviews? Any email or other exchanges between your supervisor and you before you were fired? Can you support your contention that you were fulfilling all of the essential functions of the job? If not, this could be a rough road.

Relocating-Changing Jobs
Asymptomatic HIV