pre-existing condition = permanent exclusion for LTD?

I have a pre-existing condition and current long term disability coverage with my employer. I have been made a new job offer from a new company that I want to accept. However, their long term disability policy has a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing conditions. If, God forbid, something happens to me during that 12 months I am ineligible, which is a risk I can't take, even if it is 1 in 100. Can the waiting period truly be waived "if they want you enough?" as was suggested in one of the forums? How is this accomplished?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since most LTD plans are insured, there is no way to waive the pre-exisiting condition period. You are correct in your analysis that if you were to become disabled during the first 12 months and this disability were due to a condition that you took medication for or saw a doctor for in the 3 months prior to coverage beginning, the new LTD plan would not cover that disability. However, your current LTD plan might have a conversion option. If so, you could apply for conversion and carry both coverages until the 12 months passes.

life insurance
Relocating-Changing Jobs