Qualifying for Disability Income

I have both work provided disability and private policy disability. I have been positive since 1996 and have worked full-time continuously since even back in the days when I would travel with a ice cooler so my meds would stay cold from Seattle to Hong Kong (I am a traveling Salesperson). As I turn 43 I find this is getting very difficult for me both physically and mentally. Like all of us I need adequate income for me and to care for my mother.

My CD4 count is 365 with a viral load below 1000. Is it still possible to qualitfy for disability income? Generally, what criteria to the insurers look at?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Only your disability insurers can make a determination of whether or not you are disabled pursuant to the terms (definition of disability) under the policies. Your doctor should be able to help you determine this. I am not aware of a "defined" criteria. It has more to do with your ability to perform the normal duties of your own occupation, if the policy has an OWN OCC definition, or the duties of any occupation for which you are qualified for if the plan has an ANY OCC definition of diability.

Gay Discrimination at Workplace/Insurance
Legal Issues for HIV positive person in large company