Questions on leaving work early due to feeling sick

Where I work has been very frustrating and stressful. To make a long story short: I have been employed for 2 years by the same company. I have almost no days out sick in that period. I left work early Friday and reported I was feeling ill. I then left the next Tuesday early again sick. The stress is taking it's toll on me. When I arrived home I got a call from my manager telling me I would need to call in the next day to see if I could come in. What right did they have to deem I was or was not ill? And how can they force me to not come in?

Response from Ms. Breuer

This problem is growing fast. It's time to nip it in the bud.

I suggest you schedule an appointment right away with your human resources manager or the person in your company who has responsibility for employee relations/HR. Explain that your manager seems to be concerned about whether you are fit to work, and that you'd be glad to provide a note from your health care provider that you are fit to work. Don't talk about diagnosis. Talk about fitness to work. See if you can learn what is behind the manager's overreaction.

Do you have copies of your performance reviews? Are you keeping notes on what happens? I recommend both.

While you're defusing the situation at your present job, you may want to consider whether all this stress is indeed damaging your health. Time for a job change?

HIV testing of restaurant employee
Mutual of Omaha-Follow-up