drug screening

hi

i just received a letter from school (i am in my senior year in nursing) asking everyone to go for drug screening test and a background check this has never been done before . i was wondering if the HIV meds can make my drug test positive. i am on viramune and combivir. please help because they said if it comes out positive they would kick the individual out. i am thinking somebody maybe the health department linked my information to them even though there is HIPPA and that is why they are doing this.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Give your pharmacist a complete list of all your prescription and over-the-counter meds and ask about drug screening tests. That will give you a reliable answer and, if you ask, a suggestion about an alternate test that would still screen for drugs but not yield a false positive because of your meds.

The health department leak is unlikely, and as you know, illegal. Remember that you cannot be subjected to an HIV test without your written consent. If the documents you sign do not reference testing for HIV, they can't legally run the test or remove you based on the results. I'm not sure why a nursing school would be doing this; it's more common among nurses' employers. But since it's in your future, this is a good time to learn the testing ropes.

Risk of contracting HIV
Green Card and HIV+