Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Difficulty finding work due to me being gay.

I have sent off my resume for several jobs within the past months and I feel that because I am gay and the employer can tell them I am (by the way I talk my friends have told me) that I am not getting hired. I have a B.S. and did several hours in grad school. I also worked for a contractor at an aerospace company and did litigation support at a law firm. I don't know if it is the economy or what but several interivews I have been on, I knew that my background fit the requirements and I knew that I had aced the interview, but I wondered if I wasn't picked because of my ''perceived ''sexual orientation. Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Response from Ms. Breuer

As you probably know, employment discrimination based on perceived sexual orientation is not yet illegal in many states. You might want to check on whether it is legal in your state.

Keep interviewing. The well-publicized "recovery" is just beginning to hit most businesses, and they're hiring, but slowly. Lead with your strengths and be sure to tell them how they will benefit by hiring you. Do all you can to act as though sexual orientation is not an issue. Focus on your skills and the contribution you can make. If they don't hire you, it should be something they perceive as their loss. I wish you well.

RE: Whats next??
Insurance, new job?