Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

RE: Whats next??
Jul 19, 2004

Nancy, I did go to our human resourses dept. I did everything I thought i was supposed to do. I sent a question in to this forum, (ADA-question FEB 06,2004) and the answer was if the resonable accomidation was not allowed to contact the EEOC. I do thank you for your help that you offer persons in this forum, I have lost one job prior due to HIV and management having issues with it, and didnt want this to happen to me again. But it has. I dont want pitty from anyone, That is why I do not disclose my HIV until i have to. I enjoyed my job (until the new manager came), he had issues with 1)me being gay 2) requesting accomidation. Sorry if i have confused you, i will survive. Thank you again

<i>[Editor's Note: This followup question is in response to <a href="http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/Current/Q158261.html">another message</a> posted on July 18]</i>

Response from Ms. Breuer

Ah, this additional information is helpful!

First, so that this doesn't happen to you again, please keep in mind that you DO NOT have to disclose your HIV status, even when requesting an accommodation. You make the accommodation request not for a diagnosis (HIV), but for a functional limitation (such as fatigue). If anyone at work asks you what the diagnosis is, ask, "What difference would that make?" but don't answer the question. It's an illegal question. Functional limitation, the language of the ADA, means something that's keeping you from doing the full job on the schedule of the workplace. Your request, for a limitation on your total number of hours to work in a week, was a typical request and should probably have been granted, from the information I have.

You don't say why HR refused the accommodation request, but now you are at the mercy of the EEOC, and I understand better why you are. Stay on their case, and I wish you well. Please continue to document whatever happens. YOu may need the paper trail

Previous
What next??
Next
Difficulty finding work due to me being gay.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.