Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Recently tested HIV+
Jul 6, 2004

I recently tested positive to HIV anitbodies with a Home HIV test kit. I understand that I should seek further testing to ensure that the results I received are accurate. This is something I intend to do but would however like to get my affairs in order prior to doing so. I am currently insured under a private health insurance plan that I pay for. The benefits however are not the best and I would like to see about getting a secondary insurance with disability benefits and possibly some additional life insurance prior to going in and getting tested and having it on the record that I am HIV+ as from my research so far it is apparent that there can be many serious side effects to HIV drug thereapy and it is also very very expensive. My question is how difficult will it be to get a secondary insurance with disability benefits and some additional life insurance without disclosing what only I should know at this point and that is that I am HIV+?

Response from Ms. Breuer

When you apply as an individual for health, life or disability insurance, the company will run several tests on your blood, including an HIV test, as part of the medical exam that is part of the application process. If you are indeed positive, applying for supplemental insurance will, in effect, give you your confirmatory HIV test. But that's a very public way to go, since it does put a potential denial for insurance for you into the computerized database that insurers share.

I recommend having a confirmatory HIV test anonymously or confidentially, not at a doctor's office or as part of an insurance purchase. If you are negative, you can apply for supplemental insurance without concern. If you are positive, you can follow the advice you'll find elsewhere among the answers at this forum about insurers who cover persons with HIV--and you'll be in control of that information. If you are positive, by the way, I would seriously consider the best advice we can offer here about insurance: seek a job with a very large company with group insurance as one of its benefits. The coverage would be likely to be better than what you have. The most vital coverage for you, if you're positive, would be prescription meds.

Smart question. Thanks for writing,and I wish you well.

Previous
Risk of HIV+ Vet Assistant transmitting to coworkers through animal scratches/bites?
Next
Disibility part 2

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.