The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Confused about Health Insurance
Jun 25, 2004

Hello, I'm confused, please help! I'm currently employed but on a leave of abscence from my law firm. I have international coverage from this firm which is based in London. I'm leaving the firm in August because I'm mentally exhausted and not functioning well. I'm fortunate to have a relative who is willing to set up a trust fund to pay for my health insurance premiums for life. He said that I should figure out how much it will cost and which company to choose. I have no idea how to start! Are the better companies for people who are HIV+ who are living in the US and also abroad? Will any company negotiate a fixed premium for a long-term period? I'm terrified of contacting an insurance broker and telling them I'm HIV+ because I worry that no one will insure me! Any advice on this process would help. Thanks for your help.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

The best way to get coverage is to contact an insurance broker in the area in which you will reside and find out all of the options available to you. I know of no insurance company that will write a health policy with a fixed premium for a long period of time. If you plan on living both in the US and abroad, this could complicate the situation as some plans, like an HMO, won't have coverage outside of their service area. Once again, a good insurance broker would be the best person to work with on this.

Long-Term Disability & Group Health Care
individual health insurance for hiv positive

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint