The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Jun 21, 2004

I'm a school teacher and I had PCP this october and as a result I was absent for 8 days, I also took an extra 12 days during the school year when i felt like I was getting sick,or to rest,Now I face the posibility of getting an unsatisfactory rating for the attendanve problems. Should I explain i have AIDS or just accept the unsatisfactory rating that could lead to other repercutions in my job ?

Response from Ms. Breuer

These are not your only choices.

Your other choice is to explain to your principal that you have a disability that is under treatment and you need a reasonable accommodation: you need an occasional day off when you feel as though you're getting sick to avoid getting truly sick. Back it up with a note from your physician. Your diagnosis should NOT be in the note or in the conversation. It's none of your employer's business. Employers deal with functional limitations and accommodations, not with diagnoses. They're not medical providers.

An unsatisfactory attendance record leading to a sub-par performance review is avoidable. Congratulations on recovering so well from PCP, by the way. Now you need to use the energy you've regained to establish a new relationship with your employer, one where you are being accommodated for your disability rather than punished for your occasional absence.

mandatory medical examination for preemployment as a professor
Aids and disability

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint