Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Nursing student ?
Jun 14, 2004

I am currently going to college and I would like to become a nurse. Do I have to disclose to the school or the nursing program? I have found nothing in any of the college policies regarding this. Depending on whom I ask at the nursing program, I get a different answer every time. My concern is that I would be treated differently due to my POZ status.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I wonder who you're asking if you're getting different answers. The people who say "yes" are wrong. The place where you will truly face the disclosure question is with your eventual employer. There is no reason for you to disclose to the college or anyone in the nursing program.

To learn how to handle the question about disclosing to your employer (especially a hospital), please read the other nursing-related questions in this forum.

Yes, you probably would be treated differently because of your status. I wish it weren't true in 2004, but it is. You'll be the person in the class who knows the most about universal precautions and why they're important. And I urge you to follow them strictly. You are more at risk of health complications if you acquire hepatitis B or C in the course of your work than your HIV-negative colleagues would be.

Good luck! And enjoy the privacy. It's a hard-won right, and each of us has to work to keep it.

Previous
student nurse and positive
Next
Studying Veterinary science

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.