Nursing student ?

I am currently going to college and I would like to become a nurse. Do I have to disclose to the school or the nursing program? I have found nothing in any of the college policies regarding this. Depending on whom I ask at the nursing program, I get a different answer every time. My concern is that I would be treated differently due to my POZ status.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I wonder who you're asking if you're getting different answers. The people who say "yes" are wrong. The place where you will truly face the disclosure question is with your eventual employer. There is no reason for you to disclose to the college or anyone in the nursing program.

To learn how to handle the question about disclosing to your employer (especially a hospital), please read the other nursing-related questions in this forum.

Yes, you probably would be treated differently because of your status. I wish it weren't true in 2004, but it is. You'll be the person in the class who knows the most about universal precautions and why they're important. And I urge you to follow them strictly. You are more at risk of health complications if you acquire hepatitis B or C in the course of your work than your HIV-negative colleagues would be.

Good luck! And enjoy the privacy. It's a hard-won right, and each of us has to work to keep it.

student nurse and positive
Studying Veterinary science