HIV and security clearance

I hope I can help add to the question recently asked re: HIV and security clearances. I have HIV and have a Top Secret clearance for work.

There is nothing that will likely require you do divulge your HIV status in obtaining or maintaining a clearance. You will have to do a urinalysis to show that you are drug free. Since some HAART meds can result in false positives for marijuana, you may have to show your prescription. The people who do urinalysis work apart from the people who will hire you or who will adjudicate your clearance and they are bound by rules for confidentiality.

What can disqualify a person is to have been treated for depression (common among HIV-ers) or to have excessive debt (also common if one has had to pay out of pocket for HAART).

As the previous answer indicated, you have to avoid jobs that require you to work overseas or that would require you to visit "high-risk" areas (e.g., IRAQ). I travel plenty for work, but I avoid anything that will require me to "deploy", even as a civilian.

So...HIV won't disqualify you from even a Top Secret clearance, but you do need to take a hard look at the job description for things like travel and risk of physical danger. Good luck!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You are the response to my sincere hope that someone who walks the walk would reply. Thank you very much. I will keep your answer on file, too, in case we receive a similar request.

drug testing and my meds
Handling ex's wife who's in same profession. Gossip alienting co-workers.