The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV and security clearance
Jun 14, 2004

I hope I can help add to the question recently asked re: HIV and security clearances. I have HIV and have a Top Secret clearance for work.

There is nothing that will likely require you do divulge your HIV status in obtaining or maintaining a clearance. You will have to do a urinalysis to show that you are drug free. Since some HAART meds can result in false positives for marijuana, you may have to show your prescription. The people who do urinalysis work apart from the people who will hire you or who will adjudicate your clearance and they are bound by rules for confidentiality.

What can disqualify a person is to have been treated for depression (common among HIV-ers) or to have excessive debt (also common if one has had to pay out of pocket for HAART).

As the previous answer indicated, you have to avoid jobs that require you to work overseas or that would require you to visit "high-risk" areas (e.g., IRAQ). I travel plenty for work, but I avoid anything that will require me to "deploy", even as a civilian.

So...HIV won't disqualify you from even a Top Secret clearance, but you do need to take a hard look at the job description for things like travel and risk of physical danger. Good luck!!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You are the response to my sincere hope that someone who walks the walk would reply. Thank you very much. I will keep your answer on file, too, in case we receive a similar request.

drug testing and my meds
Handling ex's wife who's in same profession. Gossip alienting co-workers.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint