Changing jobs/insurance

Soon I will be changing jobs and health insurance after 18 years of coverage and 14 years of HIV treatment. How do I make a smooth transition to new group coverage without raising red flags about my illness? I know to answer questions truthfully and I know that it is best not to disclose my status to my new employer. How do I do this and have uninterupted coverage?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

In changing jobs and employers, you should sign up for health benefits during your initial enrollment period. You should not have to disclose your health status or provide any evidence of "good health" to qualify for the coverage. You have no obligation to disclose your health condition to your employer. If your new employer's plan has a pre-exisiting condition clause, you will have to present a certificate of creditable coverage (which your prior employer is required to give to you as a result of HIPAA). This cerificate will state the period of time you were covered under the prior health plan (no other information is provided) and as long as you don't have a break in coverage of greater than 63 days, that period of coverage will count towards any pre-existing condition exclusion period under the new plan.

HIV/AIDS and LTD
Re: SSI