Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV & Government Security Clearance
Jun 3, 2004

I am currently unemployed, and living in the metro DC area where there are a good number of "defense" companies and contrators that are doing a lot of hiring, but most all of the jobs require different levels of government security clearance (e.g. Top Secret, Clearance for access to classified info, etc). Most of the job advertisements say, "Applicant must have, or be able to obtain Top Secret clearance" - or something like that. By all accounts, not only is the application for security clearance extremely invasive, but the background checks conducted by the government are extensive and include checking into ones medical history. Does anyone know if having HIV automatically disqualifies me from obtaining security clearance from the federal government? I've looked high and low for info, and the whole process seems quite mysterious with no answers. Aside from this clearance issue, I'm qualified for many of the jobs, and I would like to apply, but I would hate to get hired on condition that I be able to obtain clearance, only to have it backfire in my face after disclosing such confidential information. It would help to know ahead of time whether HIV is a deal breaker for security clearance jobs, and save myself the time, energy, and embarrassment. Any input? Thank you in advance.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I've checked with several lawyers on this one. None of them is aware of any HIV-related restrictions on domestic work, but HIV could well be a security clearance problem for a job requiring work outside the U.S. They all suggested that you target jobs that would keep you in the U.S. I wish you well, and hope you are able to get the kind of job you want.

Previous
Travel In China
Next
Help please! I'm HIV+, Changing Jobs soon, LTD & Group Health Insurance questions

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.