For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

Should I apply for Unemployment?

I recently was told I had to resign, or be fired from my part time job due to too many days missed, too many months going into LWOP due to health problems related to HIV, some I had prior to becoming infected, but HIV has caused those to worsen. I would like to file for Unemployment, it was not a disciplinary/misconduct separation or voluntarily quit for no good reason. I can look for very limited work. I don't want to bother with another "filing" if my chances aren't good. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't file. To check with another expert, take a moment to look at the site, which specializes in this kind of question.

This is the kind of situation for which unemployment exists. You need a cushion while you're looking for other work, even "limited work." I wish you well!

Can negative spouse take out life insurance on me?
HIV+ Caseworker