Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Catch Hiv from Blood on a duster
Apr 27, 2004

Hi there,

First of all I need to explain that I am a very nervous person and the thought of catching HIV has scarred my life since 1990 when a one night stand performed oral sex on me. I have since become obsessed with catching this virus and do my best to stay clear of gay people, drug users etc. I know this might sound awful as I have nothing against gays but I am scared stiff. I have only ever had full sexual intercourse with one person - my wife and have never taken drugs.

It is now coming to the stage of my life when I can't even touch door handles or shake hands. The other day a fellow worker cut her hand and a colleague helped dress it. I stayed yards away but even now I convince myself that a cleaner dusted her desk which she had had a bloody hanky on and then walked past me with the duster a few minutes later. As she was walking with the duster what if a bit of dried blood came off the duster (if there was any on)and landed in my eye - I was only a few feet away. What are the risks? What can I do to get my life back.

Thanks Steve

Response from Ms. Breuer

Steve, You don't need a Website. You need professional counseling. Please get it as soon as you read this. Your fears are taking over your life. Life is precious and short, and you deserve better than living inside a prison of your own construction.

Now. Not later. Now.

Previous
Helping a Friend
Next
Response to Rick: Reentry as Permanent Resident

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.