Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Healthcare workers w/HIV
Apr 21, 2004

I am currently doing and argument paper for my Engl class and my argument is: Should Healthcare workers have to tell their patients that they have tested positive for HIV?

My question is are healthcare workers(nurses, doctors,etc..) required to let their patients know or are they prevented from working with patients and needles?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Here's the most important question you can ask yourself--then answer in your paper: if patients knew that their healthcare workers had HIV, what could or should the patients do differently?

You should be coming up with a big silence.

No, they do not have to tell their patients. They are not injecting their own blood into patients. The greatest risk to healthcare workers--positive or negative--is patients. The risk goes the other way from what your question assumes. When nurses get stuck, it's with needles recently used on patients. Healthcare workers are around sick people all the time, and around their blood. Who's at risk?

The only procedures that many HIV-positive healthcare workers are prohibited from doing on patients are called blind invasive procedures. Those decisions are made by hospital boards, not by legislatures (thank heavens).

Previous
medicare drug discount cards
Next
Ethics question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.