Drug costs

I have a Cousin who was recently diagnosed with hiv. He does not have a steady job he works sporadically at best. I'm trying to help him get care. Would he be able to get medical coverage now? Also what would the approximate monthly drug cost be if he has to pay out of pocket? I know different combinations have different prices but what is typical?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please find out about the AIDS Drug Assistance Program in your cousin's state (ADAP) and have him enroll for that coverage as soon as possible. You'll find information about ADAP on the HRSA Website ( That should take care of the lion's share of medication costs, depending on his state. As to medical coverage, it sounds as though he may qualify for Medicare. You can learn the basics about all this at the Website Please move quickly. Government program enrollment takes a long time, and ADAP budgets are suffering.

Insurance coverage
green card holder hiv+ traveling abroad