Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HOUSKEEPER BLUES
Apr 9, 2004

Dear Nancy , I was diagnoised with hep b virus .I was working as a housekeeper at a 4 star hotel and it should of been a no star it was filthy .It was a party hotel for rich & poor .I had picked up bloody rags and towels with no gloves on .Nobody told me of the danger of hep b .I knew about hiv and you would have to have sex to get that with blood in it .I cleaned under the toilet rims that no other housekeeper ever did & the toilet rims were always covered with urine .I over cleaned everything . Also I picked up several needles I think I contracted the b virus at work .Could that be possible ?The doctors I have seen said no it was someone who I had sex with that used needles .But I dont take any drugs or drink , or anyone else I have had sex with .please help ?

Response from Ms. Breuer

I'm sorry that you've received this unhappy surprise. Here's the information that can help you understand whether you contracted hepatitis B at work:

1. Hep B travels the same routes that HIV does, but is more likely to be transmitted by those routes because it is a more hardy virus. 2. Urine does not transmit either virus. 3. Blood on towels is unlikely to have been a risk to you unless it was fresh blood and you were working with open cuts on your hands. Still, because towels are absorbent, the risk of contracting hep B that way appears quite low to me. 4. For the needles to have infected you, you would have to have been pricked by the needles, and they would have to have had blood in their syringes.

You cannot know for sure, but you sure can drive yourself crazy wondering what exposure led to infection. However, since you now have your diagnosis, I heartily encourage you to focus on taking good care of yourself rather than on how you became infected. Unfortunately, we don't always know whether someone we've had sex with has used drugs or has had sex with someone who had hep B. Please focus now on your care.

Previous
ADA violaton?
Next
Pharmacy communicating with employer...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.