The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

OI treatment coverage
Mar 31, 2004

Do employer provided health coverage plans ( like ppo )cover treatment for opportunistic infections ? It is very easy to figure out a correlation between OIs and HIV. Can an employer fire you just based on an HIV diagnosis ? How about if one has some contagious OI like molluscum ?

Response from Ms. Breuer

We can't answer such general questions about what any particular employer's plan might cover, but it's safe to assume that treatment for an infection such as an OI would be covered. Yes, it's easy to figure out a connection, so to put your mind at rest, call the insurance company's customer service desk anonymously, ask about how much detail the employer receives in usage reports, and ask whether the employer can tell which employees are using the coverage for particular diagnoses or treatments. If it's a well-administered plan, the employer cannot make any links to individuals from the usage report.

The disease-causing organisms that cause OIs are abundant in the environment. Only people with impaired immune systems have difficulty managing them. So a person suffering from an OI does not increase the risk of that OI for anyone else. Everyone is already exposed, just being in the world. The only difference between everyone else and a person with an OI is that the person with the OI has an immune system that couldn't fight the disease-causing organism as well as other people's immune systems can.

Alternative Feminine Hygiene Disposal Method
pre existing condition

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint