Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Returning to work, worried about drug costs
Mar 30, 2004

I have been HIV+ for 14 years and on SSDI for the last 8. I started doing better around the turn of the century, went back to school, got a degree, and am looking for work.

I had a good interview with a prospective employer, and I have reason to believe they are going to offer me a position. The problem is my medications: my wife (also HIV+) and I have an annual pharmacy bill around $55K, currently paid for by ADAP. The job will raise our household income above the ADAP limit in our state, but the prospective employer provides good benefits, including medical insurance with a prescription plan.

Here's the issue: they are a small company, around 500 employees total. I am worried that the addition of my medication bill will cause their insurance carrier to drop them, raise their rates, or something like that. I have both ethical and practical qualms about this, and am thinking of confining my job search to large companies in the future.

Any opinion you might have would be welcome.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

In a smaller company, the impact of high costs by one claimant can drive that company's health care premium higher. However, I do not consider a 500 life company to be that small. Certainly, in a larger corporation, this would not be an issue.

Previous
long term coverage
Next
HIV + Cobra + "private insurance"

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.