Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

long term coverage
Mar 30, 2004

I am unemployed and pay for private health care coverage. I have recently tested positive for HIV through an anonymous testing site. I am considering a change in health care providers and considering a move to a different state. Should I disclose my HIV status, seek treatment, and then pursue a change in health care providers? Or, establish a coverage plan under a new provider first? If I do disclose, and then decide to change coverage, what potential obstacles am I likely to face, particularly with regard to higher premiums or pre-existing condition guidelines?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If you disclose your HIV status or receive care for an HIV-related illnesses prior to your new coverage taking effect, you would be subject to the pre-exisitng condition clause (if there is one) under the new plan. However, you would have the benefit of HIPAA which would require the new plan to recognize prior periods of coverage unless you had a 63-day break in coverage towards that period. In applying for an individual policy, a pre-existing condition might require you to purchase a HIPAA policy which is typically more expensive.

Previous
Disclosure issue in school districts?
Next
Returning to work, worried about drug costs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.