The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ryan White Funds
Mar 22, 2004

I am very upset about a supposed new policy of HRSA requiring the disclosure of income for anyone in the household of a person with HIV/AIDS. Previously only my income from disability was considered, so I was eligible for assistance through my Care Coordinator and the KADAP program. I've tried to get additional information and to fight this discimination, but no one seems to care but me. So, my question is when and why was this implemented? Why are none of the AIDS organizations and gay organizations in an uproar over this? I've email HRC, GMHC, ACLU, NAPWA, Project Inform, my local state senator, and our local HIV/AIDS legal Project. No one responds. So, I really do hope that someone at The Body will respond to this very upsetting change in policy. Thank you, Michael

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your letter didn't tell me, but my sources tell me that KADAP means you're in Kentucky. Is that correct? It's taken me a while to chase down a good contact for you, but here it is: the KADAP administrator is likely to be able to help you, according to my HRSA source in Maryland. Your KADAP administrator is Gary Williams, and his number is 502.564.6539. Explain to him that you'd like help filing a grievance, then tell him, as calmly as you can, what your grievance is. If he isn't the person with whom to file the grievance, he can tell you who is. Perhaps he will have other suggestions as well. I wish you well.

sick and broke
Disclosure issue in school districts?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint