Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Hospital Not Cooperating after Possible Blood Contamination
Mar 16, 2004

I recently went to the emergency room for a serious cut on my hand and received some less than par treatment from the nurse there. At the end of my visit, the doctor asked her to dress my wound. As she came to wipe my hand down one more time after I was stitched up, I noticed as she got the gauze close to my hand and started cleaning it that what I saw was some fresh blood that was definitely not mine! The nurse tried to claim it was okay and blew it off. In the end, I made sure that I was tested for HIV not knowing that there are a number of other things that I should be tested for. I feel as though I have been "dooped" by the hospital as they would not have done anything if I had not demanded so. I have since been trying to contact someone to be tested for further contamination such as Hep B and others. The hospital is trying to claim either that it never happened or that the contaminated gauze did not touch my wound, but just near it. I am at least happy that I recieved a case number, but am not getting anywhere. I do not want to sue anyone unecessarily, but am I overreacting? Thier reaction makes me feel as though perhaps I am, or could they just be scared of liability? What steps should I take from here and what do I need to be concerned with in terms of diseases?

Response from Ms. Breuer

The scenario you describe is confusing, but from what I understand, you are concerned about possible blood contamination of your open wound by contaminated gauze. If anyone treated you using blood-contaminated gauze, you have experienced a serious violation of public health laws. Rather than trying to get the hospital to act against itself, you might have more success by contacting your public health department and filing a complaint about the incident. In the course of filing that complaint, please ask your public health officials what follow-up tests they believe you need. I think you will find a more objective analysis of your exposure, if there was one, from a party that is not actively defending itself.

Previous
Government Agency singles out people who are HIV+??
Next
Denial of FMLA by American Airlines

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.