Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Insurance keeps going up and up.
Mar 12, 2004

I'm HIV possitive and on disability. Due to poor health I'm unable to work. I pay my insurance threw my Union. I have Kaiser. My monthly payments just went from 90.58 to 289.67 plus I also pay 66.60 for Medicare. This is almost half my monthly disability check. I'm about to become homeless due to the increase and Kaiser nor the Union seems to care. I was told I pay or I'm canceled. Is this legal? Why have I paid insurance all these years just to be priced out? Is there anything I can do? Thanks for your help.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I'm going to forward your question to my colleague Lynn Franzoi for her to add what she writes to my comment: Please post this question right away at www.helpwithbenefits.com. That site is managed by a person who has helped people with HIV and benefits problems like this for years. I recommend that you use the "contact us" option on the site to submit your question, since it is time-sensitive. Also, have you sought help from your AIDS service organization? Helping clients to avoid homelessness is a major responsibility of an ASO.

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Since you have Medicare, I suggest you contact Kaiser and advise them that you have Medicare and want to assign your Medicare benefits to Kaiser. You should not have to pay both Kaiser and Medicare for coverage. The problem might be because you are covered under your union's plan but you should call Kaiser and discuss this. I am aware of disabled individuals who assign their Medicare benefits to an HMO, such as Kaiser or PacifiCare, and pay only for the HMO.

Previous
Foreign Travel with Meds.
Next
Health Care Reimbursement Account and Facial Lipoatrophy Treatment Expenses

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.