Foreign Travel with Meds.

I will be travelling to the U.K., France, Germany, and Italy for a month and as I am on 6 different HIV meds I will be carrying alot of bottles. Do you have any information on what to expect at customs in these countries? Are HIV travellers admitted? Any suggestions on how to prepare for taking meds to the E.U.? (original bottles, try to hide them, send them in advance by FedEx.) Any help you can provice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Jon

Response from Ms. Breuer

Fortunately the EU countries are nowhere near as wierd about HIV as we are. Carry the bottles in your carry-on luggage by all means. YOu can't risk theft from your checked luggage, and some thieves will steal anything in a medicine container. In case you do get separated from your meds, have a talk before you travel with your pharmacist about what it would take to replace the lost meds while you're away. Carry the prescription numbers with you for that purpose.

Yes, HIV-positive travelers are admitted to EU countries. The former Soviet countries and Middle Eastern countries tend to be the most restrictive. As long as you don't pop down to Yemen on a whim, you should be fine. Have a great trip!

Overseas travel
Insurance keeps going up and up.