Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

hospital bills
Mar 11, 2004

I was being treated at APFL (aids project of Florida-Ft.Laud)until I sold my home in 9/04 because I couldn't afford the mortgage payments on my total disability income. The state would not renew my certification for health care because I did not have a permantent address after selling my home. I had to have 2 surgeries in Jan/04 and now the hospital is billing me for payment. Almost 60,000 due. I am not eligible for medicare until 6/20/04. What do I do now, it's a lot of stress on me. I was a registered professional nurse for more than 20years, and since AIDS diagnoses in 6/02 I feel helpless. Being on the other side of the curtain is a big eye opener!

Response from Ms. Breuer

As a nurse, you know that no one gets through awful stuff like this alone. This is the time to line up your allies. Head for the nearest large AIDS service organization, make an appointment with the benefits person and bring documentation of your case. In the meantime, check out www.helpwithbenefits.com. If you find it helpful, use the link within the site to contact Jacques Chambers, who runs the site, to ask more specific questions about your own situation. The local AIDS service organization will know Florida. Jacques will know federal benefits and how to proceed in general. You may need to make an appointment with the service center's attorney before this is resolved. It's worth it. You have too much at stake to just let this huge wave wash you out to sea. You are not helpless unless you choose not to take action. For more information and perspective, contact the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care at www.anac.com to see if they have any help for you. Your allies can help you get through this--if you'll let them.

Previous
Gap in Employment History
Next
Workplace issue while out on disability

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.