post-employment health questionnaire

I've had 2 large healthcare employers "ask" me (all employees)to complete a long, detailed health questionnaire on the first day of work, saying it is for determination of ability to perform job. It is generic for all employees, not job specific. It later is given to Blue Cross when the employee applies for insurance, especially if they have been without insurance for over 60 days and cannot furnish a certificate of coverage. Is such legal?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

I have not heard of this practice. The question of whether or not this is legal should be addressed to an attorney. I am surpised with all of the HIPAA regulations that the employer would request this.

Insurance: Some states better than others?
hiv+ no record of diagnosis & insurance