The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Looking for a New Job
Feb 27, 2004


I know you get this question a lot but I really want to ask about the process of transitioning to a new job if you are Hiv+

I have heard that health care companies are supposed to keep hiv status confidential. If I transition from one health care program to another without a break in my coverage, will I be completely covered. Anything I should be wary of as I job search?


Response from Ms. Breuer

If you transition from one employer that provides health insurance to another employer that provides health insurance, you will be able to make a seamless transition in coverage because of HIPAA. However, the benefits will not necessarily match, so no one could promise you that you'd be "completely covered." You'll need to research the new plan to determine what you would owe in co-payments, what your prescription medication coverage would be and the like.

We do not have evidence that insurance companies share information about diagnosis across HIPAA certificates. They DO share information about past denials of coverage; if one insurance company turns you down, others can easily learn that fact and learn why. But that is not your situation.

The most important feature of your job search is the size of your new prospective employer. Companies with fewer than 50 employees tend to have more restrictive coverages. Go big! Greater size tends to favor greater privacy for you and a wider range of choice in plans.

handshake, could I be the first?
Insurance: Some states better than others?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint