is it safe to be around someone with CMV

I have a friend who has been diagnosed with CMV and would like to visit him in the hospital. Is it safe for me to be around. I have kids and don't want to take chances. Thank you

Response from Ms. Breuer

I was about to refer this question to our expert on opportunistic infections, then I discovered that we don't have one at the moment. So here's my answer-with-disclaimer-that-I-am-not-a-licensed-medical-provider. My response is based on what I learned from years of working at a Red Cross chapter that had a blood collection center.

Most of us have CMV, although not actively. Your friend has an active case because his immune system has failed to do what most people's immune systems do all the time: suppress it. Visit! You and your children are not at risk if you do.

Drug testing and HIV meds?
Hiv + and need medical insurance