Employee Issue with HIV

What does a nursing supervisor do if a nurse says she wants to be assigned to a different patient because her current patient is HIV positive with an open wound? Employee says it is because of religious beliefs...

Response from Ms. Breuer

Refusal to treat a patient with HIV is hardly a "religious" issue. I am unaware of the requirement to practice bigotry in any religion. It's a direct refusal to perform an essential function of the job. I recommend that you treat it as an educational issue first, then a disciplinary issue--all in the same conversation.

brief on what every manager should know about AIDS in the workplace
Gay/HIV+ Discrimination at Work