Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Discussing employees medical conditions
Feb 18, 2004

Our HR Dir. discusses or tells you about other persons illnesses or medical conditions whenever she feel like it. Even though we are a small municipality type office where people are quite close I don't think she should be disclosing medical information about employees or their wives. The most recent was that one of the wives was pregnant and had invertro fertilization. I was shocked that she would disclose this. Is this illegal or just plain ignorant. As an HR Dir. she should be held to higher standards. If an employee gets into an accident or is in the hospital, of course, employees want to know but going out of your way to disclose personal information about employees I think is going to far. Is there a fine line here about what can be said and what not.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Your instincts are good. It's not a fine line. It's a clear, heavy line that carries staggering fines (under HIPAA legislation) if someone presses a case when the line is crossed. An HR professional would be held to the highest standard because of her job description and her access to confidential information.

If my assumption is correct and you work for a municipality, please have a private conversation about this with your municipality's legal counsel as soon as possible. If it's not a municipality, have the conversation with an officer of the company or someone responsible for legal compliance. Your HR person is a walking time bomb.

Previous
newly diagnosed
Next
brief on what every manager should know about AIDS in the workplace

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.