Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

HIV+ but no treatment clears way for insurance?
Feb 2, 2004

I have made the decision to leave my current employer and become an independent consultant in my field (with support from my employer in terms of timing, insurance etc.) I will have another month of company-provided insurance and then switch to my own plan or use COBRA to bridge. My professional association offers many health plans that appear to be solid and affordable. I'd appreciate any general advice and then pose a specific question regarding pre-existing conditions.

Most plans have the 12-month exclusion, and one specifies that if the applicant has been covered for 18 months prior then it's waived. I was diagnosed about five years ago, have no symptoms and very little viral load etc. I am not taking medication and, wisely or not, have not sought or had medical treatment or advice related to HIV for three years.

I assume the latter fact qualifies me to a) not report the diagnosis to insurers and b) not be subject to the pre-existing condition clause if the insurer learns of the diagnosis. Are these assumptions true?

Thanks for the great advice over the years!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Assuming that the applications for coverage ask whether or not you have seen a doctor for, taken medication for or received any health care for a medical condition and you haven't seen a doctor or taken any medications in the stated period (which is ususally 12 months prior to coverage), your assumptions are correct.

Previous
SSD relocation
Next
PROBLEM WITH SCHOOL

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.