HIV+ but no treatment clears way for insurance?

I have made the decision to leave my current employer and become an independent consultant in my field (with support from my employer in terms of timing, insurance etc.) I will have another month of company-provided insurance and then switch to my own plan or use COBRA to bridge. My professional association offers many health plans that appear to be solid and affordable. I'd appreciate any general advice and then pose a specific question regarding pre-existing conditions.

Most plans have the 12-month exclusion, and one specifies that if the applicant has been covered for 18 months prior then it's waived. I was diagnosed about five years ago, have no symptoms and very little viral load etc. I am not taking medication and, wisely or not, have not sought or had medical treatment or advice related to HIV for three years.

I assume the latter fact qualifies me to a) not report the diagnosis to insurers and b) not be subject to the pre-existing condition clause if the insurer learns of the diagnosis. Are these assumptions true?

Thanks for the great advice over the years!

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Assuming that the applications for coverage ask whether or not you have seen a doctor for, taken medication for or received any health care for a medical condition and you haven't seen a doctor or taken any medications in the stated period (which is ususally 12 months prior to coverage), your assumptions are correct.

SSD relocation
PROBLEM WITH SCHOOL