Help With Answering Membership Application Questionnaire

In the archives you suggested an individual write you back regarding how to state what medications they were taking on an application. What is the best way to answer this?

I'm currently filling out an application for coverage with my current health care provider as my COBRA coevrage with them is expiring in March. There is no question of whether I have HIV or not, but there is a question asking if I have or have been treated for a number of conditions. Since I have never been classified as having AIDS or ARC (treated early and currently undetecatble w/ high viral load)I can honestly not check that one. As far as "Sexually Transmitted Diseases" I assume I would check that box. Under "are you taking any prescription medications?" I assume I need to list the three meds I am taking. I also wonder if all these questions are rather moot given the fact the I am planning on continuing my current coverage and all this information is easily available to the company through my medical records.

I want to be as truthful as possible when answering these application questions. I assume since I am on medication, they will only issue a plan through HIPAA. Does being on HIPAA "stimatize" an individual with their provider? I have always received good health coverage with them and I don't want to have that change. From what I can see in the outline of benefits, the coverage is the same except for the obvious increase in monthly premiums.

Response from Ms. Breuer

I'm sure this routine form seems silly when they have all your medical records. It seems silly to me, too. But this is no place to tweak the truth. On an insurance application for continuation of existing insurance, I encourage you to list the meds, period.

I am not aware of any discrimination by providers against people with coverage under HIPAA. If you have a good relationship with your provider, then I think you are wise to do all you can to keep it--which you seem to be doing.

Your email says that you are undetectable with a high viral load. I think you meant a high T cell count. Go ahead and write that onto the form. That tells them you're doing well on therapy.

WHAT DO I TELL THE PATIENT?
How can I cover my drug costs?