COBRA Then What?

I left my stressful job in September and managed to get on COBRA after a nightmare of administrative problems. I can COBRA for 18 months...then what? I'm self employeed now and only doing freelance work, I can't handle a full time job right now but I feel like the rules of Insurance are going to force me back into one in another 6 months or so. What do I do, I've heard that if I get insurance under my own company name that myself and anyone that works for me in the future will have huge premiums. Is this a viable solution? If not what about shared insurance pools? Any sugessions? Also my COBRA is 311/mo and meds /85 a month. I'm not paying this forever. Or am I?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

Once your COBRA benefits run out, you could apply for a HIPAA policy with any insurer that offers indivdual policies. Blue Cross and Blue Shield offer HIPAA policies as do many HMO's. HIPAA policies are usually quite expensive. Some states have major risk plans but they tend to have high premiums and a limited time that they allow an individual to maintain coverage.

You said you are freelancer but then you referenced having a company. If you have a company with employees, the size of your company (no. of employees) would govern what is available. You should contact a local insurance agent to determine what is available in your area. Depending on your line of work, there might be some association that you could purchase coverage through. There are professional organizations for accountants, attorneys, etc. that offer their membership the opportunity to purchase coverage under a group policy.

applying for SSDI
insurance and life insurance questions