Should I go on my partners health plan?

Thanks for answering this for me. I am a healthy poz guy who has no plans to go on disability any time in the near future however the concern is there should I have to down the road. My employer does not cover me for long-term disability so I would be forced to go on SSDI. I would not be eligible for ADAP because of my financial situation. How do people pay for expensive drugs if on SSDI but dont meet the requirements for ADAP? I live in NY and my partner of 5 years recently got a job that will allow domestic partners to be covered under their health plan. Would it be wise at this time to join his coverage even though I am very content with my employers plan or should I wait when and if the time comes. Can I purchase supplemental coverage should I become disabled that would cover prescriptions?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should continue participation in your employer's health plan. Assuming that your partner's health plan would allow him to cover you if you were to lose coverage under your plan, I would not have him add you as a domestic partner. I don't know if you and your partner are aware that the value of domestic partner coverage would be added to your partner's income and he would have to pay taxes on that amount. Due to this, dual coverage would not be advisable. Since there are many changes coming in Medicare, including prescription drug coverage in 2006 and a prescription drug discount card this year, it is difficult to know today what would be available to you in the future. I am unaware of any supplemental prescription drug policies.

Cashing in IRA
divorce/small business owner/insurance