Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Should I go on my partners health plan?
Jan 23, 2004

Thanks for answering this for me. I am a healthy poz guy who has no plans to go on disability any time in the near future however the concern is there should I have to down the road. My employer does not cover me for long-term disability so I would be forced to go on SSDI. I would not be eligible for ADAP because of my financial situation. How do people pay for expensive drugs if on SSDI but dont meet the requirements for ADAP? I live in NY and my partner of 5 years recently got a job that will allow domestic partners to be covered under their health plan. Would it be wise at this time to join his coverage even though I am very content with my employers plan or should I wait when and if the time comes. Can I purchase supplemental coverage should I become disabled that would cover prescriptions?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

You should continue participation in your employer's health plan. Assuming that your partner's health plan would allow him to cover you if you were to lose coverage under your plan, I would not have him add you as a domestic partner. I don't know if you and your partner are aware that the value of domestic partner coverage would be added to your partner's income and he would have to pay taxes on that amount. Due to this, dual coverage would not be advisable. Since there are many changes coming in Medicare, including prescription drug coverage in 2006 and a prescription drug discount card this year, it is difficult to know today what would be available to you in the future. I am unaware of any supplemental prescription drug policies.

Previous
Cashing in IRA
Next
divorce/small business owner/insurance

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.