For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

what should I do now

Hello, I am on Ca. State disability and was just approved for Social security disability. I am on Cobra health plan from my work and it should run out in about a year. Is there any info you can give me or advise to give me as thing I need to do now as far as benifits, insurance, etc?

Response from Ms. Franzoi

If the date as of which the Social Security Administration determined that you were disabled was within the first 60 days of the effective date of your COBRA coverage, you would be eligible for an 11-month extension on your COBRA. The COBRA premium for this extension will be 150% instead of 102% of the actual premium. If you weren't determined to be disabled within 60 days, any insurer that offers individual medical policies must offer you coverage under a HIPAA policy as long as you don't go more than 63 days without coverage. Since you are in California, you could contact Blue Cross, PacifiCare or Kaiser re their HIPAA policies. Remember that in order to be eligible for a HIPAA policy, you cannot have a lapse in medical coverage greater than 63 days. Medicare will be available to you once you have been entitled to Social Security disability benefits for 24 months.

just tested pos and scarred
Soc Security Disabilty