HIV+ nurse

Are there limitations of practice for a RN who is HIV+ loking for employement in a non patient care setting? I am presentely employed in a posotion that does not require any direct patient contact, would other companies employ me if my HIV status became known?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Please review the many questions in this forum about nurses working with HIV to get the full picture. For you, my primary concern is making sure you are aware of your privacy rights. The only way your HIV status would become known by your employer would be if you make it known, unless you have disclosed to a number of people in town.

Nurses who do not have patient contact pose no risk to patients, obviously, but also pose no risk to co-workers. Even in a hospital setting, there are very few activities that would pose any risk to anyone. Hospital boards set up their own rules concerning HIV status, so I cannot tell you what each hospital's guidelines would be. Generally, the only activities that are off-limits are blind invasive procedures. If you interview with a hospital or other patient care setting, ask a colleague to obtain a copy of their infectious disease policy to learn what restrictions--if any--you would face, and what guarantees of confidentiality they offer if you should disclose.

HIV employee w/open sores in restaurant job
just tested pos and scarred