Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

What's next for me?
Jan 20, 2004

I am 18 yrs HIV+, undetectable with a CD4 over 500. I've taken every drug, drug combo you can imagine. My doctor sent me to Indy to join a drug study 3 yrs ago. Everything was great until I lost my job due to layoff. I've also lost my insurance and can't afford Cobra. Indy dropped me from the new drug study because I wasn't able to pay for the prescription drugs that were to be taken with the drug study drug. For the first time I'm not taking any meds, unemployed, uninsured and told by the local HIV office they can't help until my counts drop below 200. How long will that take? What's next for me?

Response from Ms. Breuer

Have you talked with your pharmacist about access to your state's ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance) program? It's a federal program administered at the state level to help people whose income does not allow them to buy the meds to have access to prescribed meds. First things first: let's see about getting you back on therapy so you can continue your great run. Does your doc have no ideas about how to connect with resources for the meds? You should not have to wait for your condition to worsen before you're eligible for help from a "local HIV office" (was that a county office, or an AIDS service organization?). If you haven't made contact with your state's largest AIDS service organization, this is the time to do it. Ask to speak with the director of treatment advocates (they may have a different title) and ask about how others in your situation get access to meds.

The final resource is the manufacturers themselves. They have compassionate use programs and sometimes will provide meds directly to someone who needs them but cannot buy them. Please write again if you try all this and do not get satisfaction.

Previous
healthcare professionals
Next
HIV employee w/open sores in restaurant job

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.