The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Partner has lapsed coverage and recently tested positive
Jan 16, 2004


My partner and I are both 30 and in good health--don't smoke, not overweight, good candidates for private health insurance.

But my presently uninsured partner recently received an HIV+ test result at an anonymous testing facility. His prior insurance coverage, which we held privately as he is an independent contractor in the IT industry, has lapsed due to non-payment, and so he would have to re-sign with that or another company anew to be insured.

He now knows that he is HIV positive. He must have insurance coverage--I am so scared about the prospect of him not being covered. But I worry that he will not be insur-able with a positive status.

Do you have any thoughts on a) navigating the current re-signing with his old private insurance company or b) how to obtain insurance if you do not have it and have recently been diagnosed as positive?

Thank you for your attention, and for volunteering in this way.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Every company handles the reinstatement problem differently. It's worth it to approach the former insurance provider and request reinstatement, apologizing for former missed premiums and stating your intent to remain current in the future. If that doesn't work, then you could check with the Web site, which is run by Jacques Chambers, an expert in insurance and other benefits for people with HIV. I wish you well, and I heartily agree: this needs to be resolved.

Tingling in Full Body
How to obtain prescription drugs after insurance

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint