Long Term Disability

Hello: I am too sick to work. I filed for SS disabilty and was approved for benefits. While I was working I enrolled in both short and long term disability plans of my employer. My short term benefits came through with no problems, but now I cannot get the insurer to pay my LT. They insist on more and more medical evidence. I have sent absolutely every paper in my hand together with hospital records, and my doctors have sent everything in their files too, yet they still want more. When I call they tell me I have been approved for LT yet there is no check in the mail. I am not working because of my advanced Aids. I have no more short term, SS does not start until the end of March 2004. Don't know what to do anymore. I have no money, and my cobra is 321 monthly. Please advise me on how to handle this situation. I am in Miami Beach. Thank you.

Response from Ms. Breuer

You've described the actions you've taken so far very well. Your next step is to contact your state's insurance commissioner (look for contact information on Florida's government website) and write to the insurance commissioner with a copy to your long term disability insurance provider. Be clear about the fact that you are: 1. registering a complaint 2. requesting the commissioner's intervention on your behalf

If you do not get satisfaction from that action, please contact an attorney recommended by your local AIDS service organization. You're in a major metropolitan area and should have access to a pro bono or low fee attorney. Any costs associated with the lawyer should be more than covered by the eventual benefit.

Another resource is the AIDS Coordination Project of the American Bar Association in Washington, D.C. They can refer you to qualified lawyers in your area who have experience in the area of law you need. Their number is 202.662.1025.

Don't give up. You paid for this benefit.

PPO vs HMO
Transmitan