Pre-employment physical

Hello, I have been offered a position in a health care facility (I am a nurse). Of course I have to have the pre-employment physical first. Question: On the physical form do I have to outright say I have HCV or is that to be later revealed in the Insurance part after my 3 months probationary period? I am confused and am afraid they will not hire me if I say that I have HCV. I am not being treated and take no meds except an occasional mild sleeping pill. No other meds. Thank you , Brenda

Response from Ms. Breuer

Pre-employment physicals are for measuring fitness for work. There should be no direct question about HIV or HCV unless you are being asked whether you have any condition that prevents you from fulfilling the essential functions of the job. Given your lack of meds, you can respond with a clear conscience. Do check to see what your own hospital's or clinic's rules are about employees with bloodborne pathogens. Each medical facility develops its own standards. Congratulations!

blood contact
hiv discrimination for volunteers in the church nursery