Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Work in HIV child care home
Dec 4, 2003

Hello. I am working as a volunteer recently and I have recently asked to work with AIDS and HIV children. I had a wonderful time, but the children were very physical with me, they hugging on me and climbing on me and while singing with me, a few children spit on my face unintentionally and some of them even kiss on my lips. Though I have, of course, always learned saliva and physical contact is not a risk for spreading the virus,but I would like to ask about the kissing part since a lot of kids are very active with me and they even kiss on my lips, and I have some canker sores on the tongue, will the HIV pass via my canker sore and I will become affected, what I mean is will a dry kiss make me in a risky situation.. I just want to further confirmed since I want to help out the children and I don't want myself to have any misconceptions or unneeded concerns.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Blood, semen, vaginal fluids, breast milk. Those are the infectious fluids, and that's the good news. Have a great time with the kids. Your affection--and your acceptance of theirs--is life-sustaining to them. Rehearse in your mind how you would respond if one of them were bleeding. That's the only theoretical risk you face.

Previous
Vacationing in Europe and HIV +
Next
ethics and confidentiality

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.