Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Your opinion regarding LTC insurance
Nov 23, 2003

My employer is now offering LTC insurance w/ an open enrollment period. I have recently contracted HIV and began treatment a couple of months ago. How significant are long-term care costs for HIV patients and what's your opinion regarding HIV+ individuals obtaining LTC insurance? The cost wouldn't be much (maybe 15-20 a month) and the group policy would be portable.

Response from Ms. Breuer

That's a great deal on LTC insurance. I guess the best answer to the question about my own opinion--and your luck of the draw on three respondents is that you got me--is that I have LTC insurance myself, and I have no major medical conditions. For someone with HIV, the potential long-term implications of HAART suggest to me that LTC would be a good idea. There are possible bone-thinning, cardiac and other unintended outcomes of HAART, any one of which might necessitate extended care. The question is really one about peace of mind. What are you willing to pay to obtain it? Is the amount you've been quoted a burden or an opportunity? If you see it as an opportunity, I would advise you to go for it.

Previous
Critical illness policies and HIV+ status
Next
Vacationing in Europe and HIV +

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.