Your opinion regarding LTC insurance

My employer is now offering LTC insurance w/ an open enrollment period. I have recently contracted HIV and began treatment a couple of months ago. How significant are long-term care costs for HIV patients and what's your opinion regarding HIV+ individuals obtaining LTC insurance? The cost wouldn't be much (maybe 15-20 a month) and the group policy would be portable.

Response from Ms. Breuer

That's a great deal on LTC insurance. I guess the best answer to the question about my own opinion--and your luck of the draw on three respondents is that you got me--is that I have LTC insurance myself, and I have no major medical conditions. For someone with HIV, the potential long-term implications of HAART suggest to me that LTC would be a good idea. There are possible bone-thinning, cardiac and other unintended outcomes of HAART, any one of which might necessitate extended care. The question is really one about peace of mind. What are you willing to pay to obtain it? Is the amount you've been quoted a burden or an opportunity? If you see it as an opportunity, I would advise you to go for it.

Critical illness policies and HIV+ status
Vacationing in Europe and HIV +