Critical illness policies and HIV+ status

I took out a critical illness policy about 5 years ago for which I had to take an HIV test and was negative. I'm now positive and am concerned that if I were to get cancer or one of the other illnesses which would normally cause the policy to pay out - would the insurer check again my HIV status and try to invalidate my case for receiving any payment under the policy? If so - is there any point continuing to pay premiums? Simon. ps while I'm here can I thank you all for this website and your assistance ... it's really fantastic!

Response from Ms. Breuer

You and the insurer have documentation that you were HIV negative when you obtained the policy. You would not be making a claim under false pretenses if you were to file an HIV-related or any other claim at this point. The testing an insurer does at the point of issuing a policy is a snapshot in time, not a guarantee that the policyholder's health status will never change.

You're welcome. We host this site for you!

Possible exposure to blood
Your opinion regarding LTC insurance