Teaching And HIV

I live in England and I am a primary school teacher. I want to have a HIV test but one of the things putting me off is what will happen with my job if I am positive. ARe HIV positive people legally allowed to work as teachers in England? I don't really know who else to ask.

Thank you very much.

Response from Ms. Breuer

All of us who respond at this forum live in the US, so we are not experts on British policy. But I suggest that you contact the board/department of government/ministry that oversees the teaching profession in England and ask what health conditions would restrict a teacher's freedom to serve as a teacher. That will answer that question for you.

In any case, please learn where you can obtain an HIV test anonymously, so that concern for your profession does not further delay this important test. I would be very surprised if HIV did interfere with your teaching, but if for some reason your test is positive, then treatment could far extend your longevity in your profession, and you can't know whether you need treatment unless you know your status.

is this section now closed
Over-seas Travelling When Infected