PERSONAL TO MS BREUER-AND A THANK-YOU!

Ms Breuer: Im the one that was asked about AIDS in a job interview (still posted in the forum Aug '98) You had asked for an update on how things went if I took the job. Well I did take the job but have since left it. The question asked about AIDS had nothing to do with my suspicions (or paranoia) about tricking someone into revealing their status. In fact, the organization proved to be a very good supporter/provider for HIV/AIDS issues. I have since taken 2 whole other jobs and want you to know that thanks to your advice to everyone and your knowledge of workplace issues, this has helped me overcome the fear of changing jobs, drug tests, medical tests, revealing status to providers, etc. In fact, every pre-employment drug screen and physical has turned out to be a positive experience and so far, my status has never been (not that I know about anyway) revealed or became an issue at work. So, a big THANK YOU for giving me the courage and knowledge needed to pursue work and always getting the job I seek. Had it not been for your advice to me and others in the forum I would not have had the courage to disclose my status up front if needed at physicals because I didn't know until reading your advice and suggestions that I could do that and still get hired. Thanks again for giving me the courage to pursue these jobs that I would have let pass by if it were not for your forum and advice.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Wow! Congratulations on your successful and repeated navigation of the high seas of job change! Your kind words are warmly welcome, and I hope they will serve as encouragement to others in your situation. You obviously approach the steps in job change with optimism and lots of emotional intelligence. Way to go! May you continue to experience the positive outcomes of knowing where you want to go and what your rights are along the way. We're proud of you.

Restrictions on pre- and practicing health professionals w/ viral diseases?
You are wrong about HIV in the military