Sustiva and changing work hours

How would I adjust to different working hours while on sustiva. What I mean is if I work at nite and I take it before bedtime in the morning is ok. But the hours are not stable. I might work two late nites some mornings some afternoons so I would have to have different sleep times. I have tryed to take sustiva and stay up and go to work but I get real groggy until it wears off. I can't change the time of day I take it every few days because it would'nt be effective right?? I guess that is what my Question is. thanks for a great site.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Ouch. That schedule is really difficult with Sustiva. You are absolutely right that you can't change the time of day you take it every few days. The dosing schedule's goal is to keep an adequate level of the drug in your bloodstream at all times. Thanks for asking about this.

This is a "something's gotta give" question--either the drug or the job. Have you tried other regimens? I don't recommend changing a regimen that works. In fact, I'd recommend changing jobs before I recommended changing regimens. So here's what I suggest: you have a strong case, I think, for asking for a reasonable accommodation. In your case, the accommodation would be a regular schedule, because of your medication.

Start with your doc. Ask for a note to your employer requesting that you be put on a regular, predictable shift because of the difficulty that a changing shift causes you in the disability he/she is treating you for. Submit the note to HR, since they have the most experience with reasonable accommodation. If you want to keep the job, I'd recommend following through on this, including contacting a lawyer through your local AIDS service center if your employer refuses to give you a regular shift. I wish you well.

Reasonable Accommodation
Being terminated for being an HIV caretaker/spouce.