Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Workplace and Insurance IssuesWorkplace and Insurance Issues

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Sustiva and changing work hours
Mar 13, 2001

How would I adjust to different working hours while on sustiva. What I mean is if I work at nite and I take it before bedtime in the morning is ok. But the hours are not stable. I might work two late nites some mornings some afternoons so I would have to have different sleep times. I have tryed to take sustiva and stay up and go to work but I get real groggy until it wears off. I can't change the time of day I take it every few days because it would'nt be effective right?? I guess that is what my Question is. thanks for a great site.

Response from Ms. Breuer

Ouch. That schedule is really difficult with Sustiva. You are absolutely right that you can't change the time of day you take it every few days. The dosing schedule's goal is to keep an adequate level of the drug in your bloodstream at all times. Thanks for asking about this.

This is a "something's gotta give" question--either the drug or the job. Have you tried other regimens? I don't recommend changing a regimen that works. In fact, I'd recommend changing jobs before I recommended changing regimens. So here's what I suggest: you have a strong case, I think, for asking for a reasonable accommodation. In your case, the accommodation would be a regular schedule, because of your medication.

Start with your doc. Ask for a note to your employer requesting that you be put on a regular, predictable shift because of the difficulty that a changing shift causes you in the disability he/she is treating you for. Submit the note to HR, since they have the most experience with reasonable accommodation. If you want to keep the job, I'd recommend following through on this, including contacting a lawyer through your local AIDS service center if your employer refuses to give you a regular shift. I wish you well.

Previous
Reasonable Accommodation
Next
Being terminated for being an HIV caretaker/spouce.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.